Try out these holiday safety tips.
The holidays are officially here! In honor of this holiday season, we at Westwood Insurance, would like to take this opportunity to wish you and your loved ones a very happy, healthy, and safe holiday season. As a premier insurance provider, we know the holidays can pose some very serious risks. This is why we encourage you to try out these important safety suggestions.
- Never leave your oven or stove unattended while they are in use.
- Remove flammable items from around your stove and oven. Make sure you keep a fire extinguisher in your kitchen for fires resulting from cooking.
- Do not use real candles to decorate your home. Use electric candles or other flameless alternatives to reduce your fire risk.
- Before hanging up decorative lights, inspect them for broken bulbs, frayed cords, or exposed wires. Discard any damaged lights as they increase your fire risk.
- Do not plug more than three strings of lights into a single outlet or extension cord. Overloading a plug could cause it to overheat and spark a fire.
- Before you set out on your holiday road trip, make sure you have your car professionally serviced. This will reduce your chances of breaking down in the middle of your journey.
- Check to see which weather conditions you will encounter on your drive and prepare your car accordingly. For instance, if rain is expected, make sure your car has tires with good winter traction, heavy-duty windshield wipers, and freshly cleaned headlights.
- Pack an emergency car kit. Your kit should include things like basic tools, first aid supplies, food, water, emergency money, and other useful supplies in the event that you break down and get stranded.
Home Security Safety
- If you are leaving for the holidays, keep your plans under wraps. You do not want many people to know that your home will be uninhabited, as this increases the chance of your home becoming a theft target.
- Hire a house sitter or ask a friend to collect your mail and keep an eye on your home while you are away. A human presence at your home will keep criminals away.
- If you are particularly worried about a break-in, invest in a good home security system.
These are some of the safety tips that you should employ this holiday season. Want another way to keep the people and things you love most safe? Make sure you have the proper insurance protection in place. For assistance with all your coverage needs, contact an insurance professional at Westwood Insurance Agency today.