Keep your liability risks low this season.
Whether it’s a graduation party, a pool party, or a casual barbecue, there are a lot of things to celebrate during the summer months. If you are planning on hosting a get-together this summer, it’s important that you keep social host liability risks in mind. But what exactly is social host liability and what can you do to protect yours? Here’s what you need to know:-
What is social host liability?
Social host liability refers to the fact that, as the host of a party or event, you can be held responsible for all the incidents experienced or caused by your guests—particularly those that result from alcohol consumption. For instance, if a guest at your party were to get drunk and then get into an accident after the party, the injured person(s) could make a claim against you for providing the alcohol to the intoxicated driver.
How can I lower my social host liability risks?
- If there will be alcohol at your party, ask your guests to give you their car keys as they arrive and let them know you will provide them as they leave. This will ensure that intoxicated guests do not slip away and attempt to drive without you realizing it.
- Limit your own alcohol consumption and keep an eye on your guests. Cut off anyone who seems to be pushing their limits and watch to make sure that they aren’t behaving inappropriately with others. Obviously, you should not give them their keys and allow them to drive home.
- Encourage the use of designated drivers or be ready to call a cab company or a ridesharing service such as Uber or Lyft.
- Make sure that you serve plenty of non-alcoholic beverages and plenty of food to ensure that people do not drink on an empty stomach.
- Never serve alcoholic drinks to minors. Also, try to create a bar set-up at your event to ensure that underage guests do not have open access to alcohol.
- Consider hiring a bartender for your event. While this may seem a little overboard, bartenders are trained to check IDs and know when to cut off a guest that is getting too intoxicated. Having this set of eyes will help you keep alcohol consumption under control.
This is what you need to know about social host liability and what you can do to reduce your risk for a serious liability claim. Want another way to protect your personal liability? You may want to consider purchasing an Event Liability policy to enjoy your event and help you feel more at ease. For assistance with all your coverage needs, contact an insurance professional at Westwood Insurance Agency today.