Don’t Make Your Car an Easy Target For Thieves
Unfortunately, all car owners face the risk of their vehicles being stolen. However, this does not mean that car theft is inevitable. There are many precautions you can take to keep your car safe. Try out these tips to protect your car from being stolen.
General Car Security Tips
- Keep your car locked at all times, even when you are driving.
- You should never leave your car unattended with the keys in the ignition and with the motor running.
- Avoid leaving valuables in your car out in plain sight. This could increase the chances of your car being targeted for theft.
- Do not leave your car’s title inside your vehicle. Oftentimes, car thieves are able to escape suspicion because they are able to produce your car’s registration.
Safe Parking Tips
- When you park your car, be sure to close your windows and sunroof, as well as lock your doors.
- Thieves like to operate under the cover of darkness, so if you are parking at night do your best to park in a well-lit area. If this is not possible, try to park in busier areas instead. The fear of being seen will deter criminals from targeting your vehicle.
- When parking on an incline, apply your parking brake and make sure you turn your tires toward the curb or some other large obstruction. This will make it harder for criminals to tow your vehicle away.
Special Car Security Features
- Consider installing an anti-theft system in your car if you don’t already have one. Thieves are far less likely to steal vehicles if they know that it will be recovered quickly.
- Have your car’s vehicle identification number (VIN) etched onto each of your car’s windows. Car thieves will avoid your car because they will not want to deal with the added expense of replacing all the glass on your vehicle.
These are some suggestions that can help keep your car safe from thieves. Want another way to protect your car? Make sure you have the right auto insurance coverages in place. For assistance with all your auto coverage needs, contact a Westwood Insurance Agent today.