Here some of the steps that you can take to prevent car theft
As a car owner, the thought of having your vehicle stolen is undoubtedly a nightmare scenario. To ensure that your worst fears do not become a reality, you should take steps to prevent car theft. Take these precautions to protect your car from thieves.
General Car Security Tips
- Keep your car locked at all times, even when you are driving.
- You should never leave your car unattended with the keys in the ignition and with the motor running.
- Avoid leaving valuables in your car out in plain sight. This could increase the chances of your car being targeted for theft.
- Do not leave your car’s title inside your vehicle. Oftentimes, car thieves are able to escape suspicion because they are able to produce your car’s registration.
Smart Parking Tips
- When you park your car, be sure to close your windows and sunroof as well as lock your doors.
- Thieves like to operate under the cover of darkness, so if you are parking at night, do your best to park in a well-lit area. If this is not possible, then try to park in busier areas. The fear of being seen will deter criminals from targeting your vehicle.
- When parking on an incline, apply your parking brake and make sure you turn your tires towards the curb or some other large obstruction. This will make it harder for criminals to tow your vehicle away.
Car Security Tips
- Consider installing an anti-theft system in your car if you don’t already have one. Thieves are far less likely to steal vehicles if they know that it will be recovered quickly.
- Have your car’s vehicle identification number (VIN) etched onto each of your car’s windows. Car thieves will avoid your car because they will not want to deal with the added expenses of replacing all the glass on your vehicle.
These are some of the things that you can do to lower your risk of car theft. Remember, having the right auto insurance is another important part of protecting your vehicle. For assistance with all your coverage needs, contact an insurance professional at Westwood Insurance Agency today.